Thursday, March 10, 2011

What is in a name?

The origin of my children’s nicknames. 
My children have interesting nicknames.  They evolved organically. Which is to say, they kind of came about on their own. I always expect someone to ask me why I call my oldest “Demon,” or tell me I might give him a complex. Yes, I do actually call him that in real life, and yes, when the mood strikes him, he does answer to it. I find this both completely entertaining, and slightly disturbing. Maybe the reason no one has ever asked me is that they’ve met my son.  What did surprise me was that someone asked about my daughter’s nickname.  One of my cousins said, “so her facebook name is ‘Bug’?” *raised eyebrow* It struck me as funny. Not that she was asking, but that no one has about my son’s. In fact, I’ve had multiple people ask about “Bug.” While no one has ever asked about “Demon.”
We’ll start with Demon. 



His is slightly more complicated. There is a series of romance novels called, “Cynister Novels” written by Stephanie Laurens. They aren’t the best written books ever, but they’re pretty good. They’re cute and entertaining. The series follows a bunch of male cousins who have all been given nicknames suck as, “Demon, Devil, Lucifer,” you get the idea. I suppose this is what made it an ok idea in my head. It isn’t why I call him that though. 
My son was an early teether. He started teething at 3 months old. He had all his teeth by 1 year. He started working on 2 year molars at 15 months. He’s a horrible teether. It’s incredibly painful for him and seems to take forever. I decided somewhere around the time that he was 6 months old that there was a very fine line between teething and demonic possession. If you’ve never seen the similarities I envy you. There were many jokes about me waiting for his head to spin around, or calling a priest. (I seriously considered that a few times because it got so bad. I didn’t think the priest would take me seriously though.) 
My son is also known to get into a mood. When he’s tired, or hungry, or doesn’t feel well he’s quite a handful. On these days you can always tell something is wrong because he suddenly insists on getting into everything he knows he’s not supposed to, and usually leaves alone. He doesn’t listen to instructions, and has meltdowns at any provocation. My neighbor, who my son loves to play with daily when the weather permits, is fond of saying, “Ohhh, you can see the devil in him,” on these occasions. She does it in such a sinister way that it’s pretty funny. I think this, more then anything, is what has made the name stick. 
As he’s gotten older he has shown a brilliance marked with much curiosity and mischief.  These days it’s an affectionate nod toward those traits. He can be adorably devilish, more so then other 2 year olds. In fact he has shown a particular talent for getting into trouble. Some day I will write a blog post called, “things my son did quietly in his room, that weren’t napping,” or “things Demon has put in his hair.” (That hair one would be pretty long) 
Just so we’re always clear. I’m not calling my son A demon, or suggesting he is actually demonic, or anywhere close. It is just an affectionate nickname (one of many) that has stuck as he’s entered the “terrible twos.”
Bug’s name is not nearly as interesting. 



When you tightly swaddle a baby, they end up looking like a little inch worm, or glow bug. Especially one who isn’t sure they want to be swaddled.  Bug will inch along you, or the couch, or bed, when she’s been swaddled, but isn’t sure she’s ready for bed. We found ourselves commenting on how she was, “small as a bug” or “snuggly as a little bug.” This, coupled with the fact that her bedding is ladybugs, and so I’ve done her room in a “bug” theme (ladybugs, butterflies, dragonflies) has led to her affectionately being named “Bug.”  I’m sure as she gets bigger she will grow out of it. I hope she never thinks we likened her to a beetle, or something creepy.  I think of her more as my tiny inchworm, soon to be my butterfly (yes, I know caterpillar/butterfly, inchworm/moth, but inchworm to butterfly will fit her better.) I’m also fond of calling her my little bug-a-boo, or snug-a-bug. And again, yes, we actually call her Bug. Some day, if she’s feeling inclined, she may even answer to it. 

1 comment: